It seems that some people with mold illness, and even some people without mold illness, get suddenly sicker in the autumn weather. Various hypotheses have been presented on this. Here is my hypothesis on the mold/chemical aspect.
My “main” super huge crash began in the fall, also, in the mold house.
1. All the mold growth outside all summer culminating in very high mold counts until the first freeze, exacerbated by fallen dead leaves growing mold and autumn rains makes for a lot of mold. Nice little combo for feeding and watering mold. Moving to a semi-arid climate made a huge difference for me.
2. If there is hidden mold inside, and/or even other toxins (pesticides–which by the way, many people treat for spiders in the fall, carpet, pressboard, propane heat, paint, scents, etc.), with the house shut up more, the person can notice the effects. For me, it was the hidden mold by far that caused my super huge crash. I don’t think we treated for spiders that year. After leaving the mold house, I definitely noticed being shut up in rentals over the winter versus camping in fresh air in the summer.
3. Cold seems to keep pollution hovering on us. In the summer, I can handle small towns (if no mosquito spraying) without too much trouble. In the winter, every town smells like one big collection of car exhaust–nasty. Not to mention the odorless but harmful propane or natural gas coming out of people’s vents. Why do we think we can vent something harmful like that outside, multiplied by many houses, and think it’s no longer harmful? Obviously, people aren’t dying from it because the outdoor air dilutes it “enough.” But it’s still unhealthy.
Christa Upton Black Hills Picture Books Edgemont, SD 57735