Today I’d like to write about one of my favorite authors, Jan Karon.
I can think of five reasons why I think her books are destined to become Christian classics.
- Karon developed her characters so well that I feel I could meet any number of them on the street. (And would love to meet them, too!)
- The town of Mitford reminds one of many towns and fun fantasy at the same time. It could be Anywhere, USA but exudes a sense of magical, irresistible charm.
So, characters full of complex personality and dimension plus vibrant description of a lovely town equals “classic” presentation of 20th century small town America (IMHO). I feel this book could be read in the future similar to how we read Laura Ingalls Wilder today, only adult-oriented.
- The theology is so good (IMHO) that this fiction can help people through normal life.
- Many of the novels present the gospel in a natural way that it is not at all preachy.
- The subjects brought up are universal and timeless—death, birth, marriage, generational interaction, human depravity, and the Church.
So, if you’d like a cozy and fun book to curl up with tonight, run to the library and grab a Jan Karon!
(Actually I can’t read library books anymore because of scent picked up in the books, but our library has Karon books on CD!!)
Read more about Jan Karon here: https://www.amazon.com/Jan-Karon/e/B000APIF3E/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1471567876&sr=1-2-ent
And find her website here: http://www.mitfordbooks.com/
Christa Upton Black Hills Picture Books Edgemont, SD 57735