Is Mold Bad?

Mold smells, destroys materials (like drywall), and causes allergies.  But is it really all that bad?

Yeah, it is.

Granted, approximately only 25% of the population is more susceptible to mold illness.  [i]  However, mold is not good for anyone.  [ii]

Mold does at least three things (besides cause decay):

  1. Mold causes allergy (similar to dogs or grass).
  2. Mold causes poisoning (because unlike dogs or grass, it produces toxins).
  3. Mold infects (mold can grow on a person’s skin or in their lungs or sinuses. Yeah, gross.)

Before I continue, nothing in this post or on this website should be construed as medical advice.  These are ideas based on my research and experience.  I am not a doctor. 

If one is mold allergic, the main thing I want to say is NEVER consent to mold allergy shots.  This is because mold is toxic (again, as opposed to other allergens).  You may not realize you are getting symptoms from the toxins in the mold shots until it is too late.

Mold poisoning.  It’s nothing like people think when they first think of the dangers of mold.  It goes far beyond respiratory or allergy symptoms; one would do better to think more like arsenic or dioxin.

Symptoms from mold poisoning can range from brain fog to heart problems, extreme exhaustion (“Chronic Fatigue Syndrome”), depression, sleep problems, acid reflux, Lyme disease-like symptoms, autism-like symptoms, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS), and even sometimes Fibromyalgia.  (Though I believe Fibromyalgia can be caused by other toxins or xenobiotics or unknown reasons.)

Some people being treated for Chronic Lyme probably actually have mold illness.  One treatment for Lyme (antibiotics) usually makes mold illness worse, sometimes much worse.

Prolonged exposure to mold (and other toxins) can also cause Multiple Chemical Sensitivity or Toxicant-Induced Loss of Tolerance  or Toxic Injury (among other names for approximately the same illness).

For other symptoms of mold poisoning, see here:

If multiple family members or even pets developed symptoms along these lines after moving into a house, I would highly suspect mold.  Look for water damage.  If there is visible water damage, there is likely hidden mold.  Many (most??) of us with mold damage never saw the mold until we were sick.

I do not have much experience with mold infection (thankfully!)  I do have some on my skin, as well as systemic Candida (which is related to mold and can be exacerbated by mold in the environment).

My skin infection is (slowly) healing with topical vinegar.  Candida is more complicated, but one thing that helps some people is probiotic veggies (properly fermented with good bacteria) or properly fermented yogurt.  At this point in my research and understanding, I do NOT drink probiotic drinks as these appear to be more likely to be contaminated with Candida.

Mold infection of sinuses is apparently common.  If a person has mold infection and is given antibiotics, the infection will probably get worse.

Mold infection of the lungs (possibly “farmer’s lung” or fungal pneumonia) can be very serious.  Please see a doctor and tell the doctor you suspect fungal infection if you have symptoms of this.

Mold is bad.  For more information, also see this great article:





Black Hills Picture Books    Edgemont, SD  57735

About Christa Upton

I am a wife and mother of three children ages 11, 14, and 18. I used to be a stay-at-home mom (teaching piano & dance, volunteering, etc). From 2007 to 2010, I suffered accidental Toxic Injury (also called Multiple Chemical Sensitivity or MCS). MCS has had major impact on our family, but the forced time in bed has given me time to write. So far, I have published 4 children's books (2 in e-book format on Kindle, one in Print-on-Demand at CreateSpace, and one printed by a local printer). Sometimes I miss my old life, but I love writing for children!
This entry was posted in MCS/Chronic Illness, Mold/Mould and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Comment