To my friends and acquaintances who literally live in the desert or other remote places, trying to recover from MCS: I know it is a VERY hard life, and I do not at all mean to make light of your struggles. In fact, I almost didn’t post this simply because of not wanting to hurt you. I feel so horrible for you, my desert and wilderness friends. If you are reading this and not in the mood for humor, I understand, and know that I am praying for you.
You know You Live in the Boonies When….
- Three cars meeting at an intersection is a “traffic jam.”
- You sit outside and literally the only thing you can hear is the tapping of a woodpecker.
- You hear a gunshot and know it’s not a matter for the police, but local deer might want to watch out!
- You have satellite internet.
- Your neighbors are fantastic!
- You see more turkey tracks and bunny tracks in the snow than people tracks.
- You can take a picture of the sunset with almost nothing man-made in the picture.
- You miss being able to walk to the Post Office.
- The UPS guy can’t find you. (Actually, our UPS guy is really great. :))
- The county that you live in is different from the county of your mailing address and is different still from the county of the closest library to you! (Yep, that’s really true where we are living now!)
- The closest town to you is in a different state.
- Other nearby towns have signs that read something like: Population 7.
- Your house number has five digits.
- You miss being able to order pizza delivery.
- When you consider the awesome view out your window, you remember you like homemade pizza almost as well. LOL
- You see sheep (or cows or horses) grazing, across the road.
- The deer eat your mulch pile before it can turn to mulch.
- You start naming the wild animals that come by often. (“Scraps” is the deer that comes to eat our mulch pile most often. :))
- You see more pick-up trucks around than mini-vans or cars.
- The only thing you can smell outside is grass and plants.
Christa Upton Black Hills Picture Books PO Box 293 Custer, SD 57730